England on Sunday axed Pietersen over the allegations that he sent controversial text messages to South Africa cricketers, which consisted filthy word for captain Andrew Strauss and criticising coach Andy Flower.
Vaughan said, “If it’s true that he sent those texts, it will take a long time for him to be allowed back,” Vaughan said.
“It’s been a mad, but also a very sad week for the England cricket team. There are no real winners, but one very big loser and that’s Kevin Pietersen.
“I don’t think he’s getting the right advice. I don’t know who is advising him but in my eyes they are not doing the right job for Kevin. We don’t know what has been going on behind the scene for the last few months, because the text messages could only be a tipping point,” Vaughan told the BBC.
“There’s no way he could have arrived in that dressing room at Lord’s on Tuesday morning. It will take time, but he will get another chance. I hope he does.”
The 32-year-old, who had scored century in the drawn second Test against South Africa at Headingley, followed that bombshell by claiming he was ready to walk away from the sport due to what he perceived as problems in the England squad that he said “made it hard being me”.
The saga took a bizarre twist when Pietersen posted a video on YouTube on Saturday in which he claimed he was now ready to play in all forms of international cricket having previously opted out of limited overs action.
“I am hugely disappointed that the ECB have decided not to select me. To say I am gutted is an understatement,” Pietersen said in a statement.
“This entire episode has been demoralising for me and my family. However, none of this constitutes the end of my career as an international cricketer.
“The video I released was my way to bring closure to the issues I had at that time.
“I had an emotional time at Headingley but I stand by every word I said in the video.”